Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010: Being Resolute in my Resolutions

Alright 2010, I *think* I'm ready for ya...

2009 had me for a loop, with two businesses* and two non-profits*, multiple projects some of which got done, some didn't, living on savings because I was focused on the afore mentioned corps, oh, and my social life, centered around networking - both online social and in-person, and not to mention being a single mom on top of it all...

In the twenty-ten, I will accomplish a few more things this year, and unfortunately, they have mainly to do with the stuff I started last year, except of course the kid thing which was est. in 2002 :)

So, for the masses of the intertubes (and really a to-do list more for myself), I will explain all of these items in nauseating detail, in somewhat of a chronological order. Hopefully, this will prove I'm really not a slacker -> read "insecure a bit?" - but also so if you happen to be a part of my inner sanctum, even peripherally, you'll realize that I'm pretty frickin' busy and do NOT take it personally if I don't come to an event or respond quickly. Several of these goals are quite ambitious, some I need to complete them in the first month, so thanks for understanding!

1. Spend more time with my son. Last year I had the mixed fortune to travel a lot: the inauguration* (see film project A), campouts, friends' weddings (which is both joyful and depressing on a whole 'nother level but let's not go there right now -> read "spinster"), but these were unfortunately, without my 7 yr-old son. I am very blessed that my parents help me with him, but now that he is getting older, we need to be doing more things together. However, it is hard to date and bring the lil guy around much as obviously, not every time/place/person is suitable for an introduction to the youngin'.

2. Finish my projects that I really need to from 2009
I.) Films/Creative Productions
A.) Inauguration Tales: An American Hajj - Need to hurry on this and at least get out a short to YouTube by Jan 20. Truth is, I was very unhappy with the footage I got from the event, which would have been better if I had had a PA to help and a press pass, but got discouraged going through some initial footage, so I put it away for a bit... I think I did get some good stories though - just have to get the gumption up to import and go through it...
B.) Upsourced 2.0 - my 48hr project I did with comedians Kristin Russo and Dave Waite and a great crew from Columbus. A task originally Bill Rinehart and I were going to write, along with Adam Thede, but somehow during the weekend festivities, things got a little discombobulated... Usually 48hr projects just live on as they were completed, but the story did not feel complete to me, and what we had was quite good - for a 48 - but I know once we do more story and character development, it will be a great short I can submit to other fests... but I HAVE to do this soon. Like by Feb.
C.) Xanadu RiffTrack - pretty much all written down and hashed out just need to record.
D.) Music vid with Pike. This is Eric's baby, so hopefully we can do this by end of Q1.
E.) Secret local political web series project. Can't discuss right now :)
F.) Work more on the biofuel project. Need to turn this into a short rather than a feature.
1.) Get interviews/footage at Cardinal
2.) Get interviews w/family farmer footage from farm
G.) Shoot more for Filmmaking in Ohio project
II.) Web dev
A.) Complete re-dev of Batafilms.com
B.) Keep clients happy
C.) Finish FB app side projects
D.) Get f/t stable job w/yet unnamed web portal company :) woohoo!!!!
III.) High-level stuff
A.) Make 2010 a successful year for the Cinci-Oxford Film Fest
B.) Get action items acted upon/completed from film dev working group list
C.) GET FILMS TO BE MADE HERE!

3. Say "No" more often. Need to stop taking on too many new projects, stop spinning my wheels on projects/causes that are stressing me out/bringing me down and drop projects that suck up my time and don't pay me. Yeah this looks like 3 resolutions, but they center around the same root cause of overcommitting myself. One of the ways I will work towards this is by moving away from one of the non-profits and one of the businesses (stated above) in lieu for a f/t job that will be more satisfying and stable - financially and with stream of work. Another part of this problem is, I'm an idea person - so when I get one, I can't always find someone to hand it off to, so I end up doing something myself. Maybe blogging/twittering these will give someone else the inspiration and they will take it and run.

4. Which brings me to #4: Blog/Tweet more. I usually focus on my Facebook page and IM, but I need to use these more. Heck I've had my twitter acct since about 6 months after they started Twitter, but I have just tweeted my 1000th tweet.

5. Move. Doesn't matter if it's Wyoming, OH or SJC or Kentucky anymore- just do it before next school year.

6. Re-enroll in a master's program

Lofty? Yes. Doable? ...remains to be seen. I keep thinking if I shoot for the stars, at least I'll hit the moon... or maybe just Mt. Adams, but I gotta at least do a few of these things. I'll try to chronicle my progress in this blog.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm tired just READING it.

Good luck in 2010!!!!!

KatwomanOfSteele said...

lol! thanks Astra :)